UBox2 is the second iteration of the UBox All-in-One Multimedia Player by UTechnologies.
This device is unique because it incorporates many devices in one speaker box. There is an FM Radio Receiver, Bluetooth Audio Receiver, Digital TV Set-Top-Box and a Multimedia Player. It also has a karaoke function so you can sing to your hearts content.
The UBox2 features a modern looking design, stereo speakers and EWBS functions, which is a significant improvement compared to its predecessor.
What is included in the package?
UBox 2 unit
2 x AAA battery
12V DC Adapter
UHF Whip Antenna
The device has many ports where you can plug your audio sources. Lets say, if you have wired sources, you can use RCA or 3.5mm jack and you can use Bluetooth audio if you prefer to use wireless.
- 2 x USB 2.0 Slots (1x for STB, 1x for Audio Player+Receiver)
- 1 x 3.5mm for AUX
- 2 x 6.35 mm Microphone Socket
- 2x RCA Ports (1x for STB, 1x for AUX)
The remote control is quite familiar to the set-top-boxes that are in the market but with notable differences especially with design and functions.
Another difference is the User Interface and the System-on-Chip used in the box.
The Ubox uses an MStar-based SoC while the Ubox2 uses a Sunplus-based SoC with faster channel scanning and decoding.
Since this is a multi-purpose device, we will divide their functions into two parts.
- Audio Receiver + FM Radio + Speaker
2. DTV Set-Top Box + Multimedia Player
- Audio Player/Receiver + FM Radio + Speaker Functions
We first tried scanning to FM radio stations, it tends to pick up 0.1MHz lower than the stated radio station.
In terms of reception, it is fair with its built-in antenna.
The speakers are quite loud enough considering that the unit is equipped with two (2x) 6 cm 10 watt, 8Ω speakers. Upon testing the speakers, we have set it to its maximum volume, it performs well with lows, and mids but it quite lack on highs. The speakers are configured as Dual Mono instead of a true stereo setup.
We also have tested plugging microphones for the karaoke function and you can set its echo and volume functions and it works well. No need to buy a separate karaoke device in your home!
- Set-Top Box + Multimedia PlayerThe device can output up to 2K Full HD (1080p) resolution and it can play various video and audio formats.
In terms of tuning, the tuner’s sensitivity is slightly better than various STBs available in the market.
We also have observed that the software lacks the LCN mapping for ISDB-T.
The tuner has a built-in EWBS function although you may have to configure it manually with the parameters provided in the user manual. We hope that the software update may fix this.
The box outputs audio through its speakers and through audio out via RCA which can give you options to hear with both speakers on an option to mute the speaker in case if you only want to hear using the TV’s speakers. While this is a good option, you cannot adjust the speaker’s volume controls via remote control when it is set on TV (STB) mode since you will be adjusting the volume of the set-top box.
It also has 5 built-in classic games:
- Box Man – Sokoban Clone
- Hit Rat – Whack-a-Mole
- Go Bang – A port of the board game, Go.
The UBox 2 may be the only device in the country that integrates Digital TV, multimedia and karaoke functions in a Bluetooth speaker. A truly unique device in the market.
If you want a device that is what we say is “all-in-one”, then this is the device for you.
- SoC: Sunplus-based DTV SoC
- Display Resolutions: SD (480 or 576 lines, interlace and progressive scan) , HD (720p) , 2K FHD (1080i/p)
- Supported codecs and files on Set-Top Box:
- Audio: MP3, WAV, FLAC, AAC, M4A,
- Video: MPEG-2, MPEG-4 (DivX/Xvid), MPEG-4/AVC (H.264), MKV
- Supported codecs and files on Audio Receiver:
- Audio: MP3, WAV, FLAC, AAC
- Bluetooth Codec: SBC
- Dimensions (W x H x D) : 260mm x 100mm x 102.5mm
- Speaker configuration: 2x 6 cm 10W, 8Ω speakers
- Affordable price point
- Build quality
- Fast channel scanning and decoding
- This does not use LCN.
- EWBS will need manual configuration.
- Master volume cannot be adjusted with remote when it is set on TV mode.
- Separate USB slots per function
- Dual Mono Sound setup
Disclaimer: The review unit is provided by ÜTechnologies.
BONUS: DTV Pilipinas readers can get a 5% discount by using the promo code “UTECDTVPH” on Lazada and Shopee. Offer ends on October 6, 2019.